October 2018 PTO Meeting Minutes
Barre City Elementary & Middle School Parent Teacher Organization, Inc.
Bridget Fisher, Jen Carbonneau, Sarah Scribner, Amelia Abraham, Carey Miller, Arin Renfrew, Hayden Coon, Hannah Tucker, Jerry Poitras, Chris Hennessey, Dawn Mattthews, Cassie Bell, Jessie Vest, Alina Schenkman, Ashley Nutbrown, Calley Rock
1.Call to Order 6:30 and introductions
- Motion to approve by Carey Miller second by Dawn Matthews passed to approval.
- Jessie Vest (President) shared information regarding Act 46 and provided an informational packet regarding the current study committee and how the this affects our local school districts. Dawn Matthews (Treasurer) shared new balance of PTO account as $4,855.50. Money was used to purchase sunglasses for WALK RUN FUN EVENT, as well as display case items, and a check was cut for the Reading program. Cassie Bell (Vice President) and Calley Rock (Secretary) have been working together to post fun facts regarding WRF to both PTO Facebook pages and Front Porch Forum to spread the word about our annual event.
4.Walk Run Fun Committee
- The start of our fundraiser is in full swing, we have 2 weeks for students to raise sponsorship donations. We are still in need of volunteers for the day of the event. Mr. Coon suggested students set a goal for themselves and principals would be willing to be dunked in a dunk tank or get a pie in the face. This would be a good way to boost student enthusiasm when raising donation money. Cassie shared the Times Argus article by David Declore about our fundraising efforts. The school cafeteria staff will be donating a snack for the day of the event. Jerry Poitras also suggested inviting our new mayor.
- Nothing to report
- Date set for 11/2/2018 Carey Miller would like a list of To Do’s to get prepared for the event, Jen Carbonneau also has prizes left over from Teacher appreciation week. Carey Miller will be sending out a volunteer list closer to 11/2. Mr. Hennessey has volunteered to call numbers along with Carey.
- Jessie Vest is looking for new suggestions for apparel this year, both principals would like to have a few extra on hand for students who have moved into the district.
- All teachers have volunteered Jen Carbonneau
- Nothing to report
- Cassie Bell explained the program that is held at Sugarbush. Five Sundays Jan-Feb. Great price to ski or ride and a good way to learn. More information to be available at a later date.
- Suggestions were made to remove Movie night from the agenda. A brief discussion of a spring event. Carey Miller had suggested a science night or talk of spring Bingo. This will be added to the agenda early in 2019.
- Both Mr. Coon and Mr. Hennessy said spirit week was fun and a hit with students in all grades. Mr. Coon talked about the first newsletter being sent out. Response to the newsletter was positive a one. He also discussed staff getting together and writing 60 cards to recognize students for the good things they are accomplishing. Postcards have been ordered to do more of this in the future. Mr. Coon and Mr. Hennessy have planned Pizza with the Principals for 10/24/2018. Mr. Hennessey was very happy with the student on the move assembly and all the great things the middle school students are doing. The first lockdown drill was a success. Both teachers and students did a great job with the new A.L.I.C.E training procedures.