To the Barre UUSD Community,
Here is our end of the week update from the Barre schools:
- Governor Scott’s Directive 5 of March 26 included the following relative to school closure:
- Schools for preK-12 students shall remain dismissed for in-person instruction for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year, unless otherwise ordered by the Governor if the COVID-19 response should allow.
- Schools are required to have continuity of learning plans for remote learning implemented on or before Monday, April 13, 2020.
- The Secretary of the Agency of Education shall issue guidance on or before Friday, May 8, 2020 on end of school year gatherings and graduations.
The complete directive can be found at: https://governor.vermont.gov/sites/scott/files/documents/Directive%205%20-%20Continuity%20of%20Learning%20Planning%20_0.pdf
- As I said in last night’s message, this is a time for everyone to slow down and take a few deep breaths. To put time into perspective, we have been in a “dismissal” mode for 8 school days and have 54 days still ahead of us. Within two weeks, we will have settled into “Continuity of Learning” mode. These first weeks of “Continuity of Education” are intended to put the systems in place to sustain remote new learning for the remainder of the year. The following guidance was issued yesterday for Parents and Guardians for this current phase: https://education.vermont.gov/sites/aoe/files/documents/edu-maintenance-of-learning-for-families-and-guardians.pdf. We know that everything is not perfect right now and ask for your continued patience as we work to get our systems in place.
- Starting next week, our food delivery will transition from five times per week (with one day of meals per delivery) to three times per week (with two days of meals per delivery). A more detailed email and Robo-Call will come out in the next few days explaining these changes.
- We have determined that we are unable to sustain our Child Care for Essential Persons and will be shutting the program down as of the end of the day on Wednesday, April 1, 2020. If you need to look into additional care options, please go to https://www.letsgrowkids.org/coronavirus, and scroll to the Resources for Families section. There you will find a link to submit a form indicating that you are an essential worker looking for childcare. We thank you for your understanding on this; it has become clear across the state that the school-based childcare presents many challenges.
- The (remote) community participation in last night’s BUUSD Board meeting was encouraging and very much appreciated. The next regular board meeting takes place on April 9, and we welcome your participation. The Zoom link will be provided as we get closer to the meeting date. We will also resume the (remote) meetings of our various committees (Facilities, Finance, Policy, Curriculum, and Communications) starting the week of April 13; Zoom links will be posted for those as well.
Please have a safe, healthy, and relaxing weekend,
Superintendent of Schools
Barre Unified Union School District
120 Ayers Street
Barre, VT 05641